Friday, April 16, 2010

Skillet

I just realized that I have yet to blog about Skillet!!!!

What kind of a Panhead am I? I don't deserve the name Sckpanhead. I've even added "Panhead" to all my paper and computer dictionaries, because apparently some people don't believe such a word exists. Well, it does, and I am a proud member of this group of people. What are we? We are Skillet fans. We are one.

Anyway, so Skillet is the awesome-ist band ever. I first heard of them back in 2004, when their album Collide had just come out. My dad had burned "Savior" onto one of his CDs we listened to in the family car. I remembered thinking that they were Lifehouse. When I asked my dad who they were, he couldn't remember. I loved the song, but I don't think this counts as being a Panhead yet.

Two years later, my dad did the same thing with a song off their new album, Comatose. The song was "Rebirthing", and we listened to it full blast a few times while driving around the neighborhood looking at Christmas lights. Everyone loved the song, especially me. I asked my dad again who this awesome band was, and I'll never forget what he told me. He said, "I don't know, Skillet or some weird name like that". "Well dad, burn me a CD with songs from this weird band" I said. And that was the beginning of my obsession. My dad burned me that CD, with songs from every Skillet CD there was besides the first one. I listened to that CD until it was fallign apart (yes, you can listen to a CD until it falls apart).

The first time I actually saw Skillet was a short time after this. My mom called me into the living room and told me that that band Skillet I always listen to was on TV. It was the Rebirthing video. I remember trying to figure out with my mom if the drummer was a girl or a boy, and that they were, in fact, weird.

It didn't take long for me to get used to Skillet. being home schooled, I wasn't frequently exposed to such coolness as Skillet very often, so it took some getting used to. Later I liked bands like Thousand Foot Krutch and tobyMac which, how do I word this, warmed me up to be cool, I guess. I always went back to Skillet though, no matter what band I liked at the time. Skillet was always number one.

On a more serious note, Skillet's songs have helped me get through a lot of hard things in my life. A lot of the songs seem to say exactly what I'm feeling. It's like John Cooper (lead singer, bass player, and writer for Skillet for all you non-Skillet people out there) was going through the same things I was. It still helps me a lot in my life now, even though I don't take the help as often as I should anymore. I don't know what's wrong with me, but i don't listen to Skillet as much as I used to. Sort of sad.

OK, now for the good stuff...SKILLET STUFF!!!! Let me tell you about the band in my own words. There is John Cooper, lead singer and bass player. He grew up in Tenessee, but currently lives in Wisconson with his wife and two kids. John is a nerd who likes toys, action figures, and 80's music. Korey Cooper is John's wife, and also plays keys and guitar in Skillet. She is the serious one, and ba;ances out John's crazy easy going attitude. Ben Kasica plays lead guitar. He is my personal favorite, mostly because he was home schooled like me. He grew up, and I believe still lives, in ST Louis. He likes coffee. Jen ledger plays drums. She's from England, and used to have an accent, although she's lost most of it. She is a typical 20 year old rocker chick, with awesome clothes and awesome hair to match.

OK, this blog could go on forever, but like I thought it would it's already gotten out of hand. Let's just stop right here, and I can send you to some sites or something. Here you go...

www.skillet.com
www.myspace.com/skilletmusic
www.theskilletsizzle.com

And of course, a picture of Skillet, just in case you see them on the street by some strange coincidence. From left to right: Jen, Ben, John, Korey.

And one more of Ben...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, I love Skillet!

Sweetpetunia said...

Oh my goodness, I cant' believe you commented on your own blog post about how you like Skillet. You're such a nutcake. BTW, I'M the original Panhead in the family, lest you forget. ;)