Friday, September 16, 2011

Hebrews Chapter Five: What We Have Learned

Have you ever heard a song and been all like, “This is totally my song!” And then a week later you hear a different, probably better song and say, “No, wait, this is so totally my song”, and this goes on for pretty much your whole life and you begin to wonder if you will ever find the right song? I'm going through this dilemma right now. My song is currently a Jeremy Camp song and NOT a Skillet song (wonder of wonders). “The Way” really describes what I'm trying to accomplish right now, so I consider that to be my 'song' at this very moment in time, but don't expect it to stay that way. I'm sure I'll change it before the week's over.

Already we're on chapter five. It seems to be going fast, but I did some calculations and we won't finish this book until mid November! If any of you sticks around all the way through, there will be a party at the end of Hebrews, AND THERE WILL BE CAKE! (Selena is giggling right now because she knows only her and one other person reading got that joke, you know who you are.)

1-3 I'm usually the friend people go to when they need to talk. I don't know what it is about me, but it's almost guaranteed that I'll have at least one person come to me with their deepest concerns and secrets every month. I imagine most of the reason that my friends pick me to open up to is because God knows what I've been though; he knows that I'm able to sympathize with a lot of individuals because I know what it's like. Although there's so much to learn from difficult times in life, I think one of my favorite by-products of suffering is your new ability to understand what everyone else in your situation feels like. This way, if you ever find yourself in my shoes and someone pours out their heart to you, you can hug them, cry with them, and let them know that they're not alone. The most comforting words I can hear when I'm upset about something is, “Yeah, I know what you mean, I've been there too.” God knows this, and I think this is a big part of why he set op the sacrifice system in the way he did. He had a regular guy like you and me asking for forgiveness, someone who knows what it's like to screw up. We've been over the priest thing already in past chapters, but this same thing is repeated often in Hebrews. The bottom line is, we're not alone in whatever it is we're facing. You have God, you have me, and I'm sure you have a really good friend who's willing to help you through the tough things. If you're not going through anything, I encourage you to make yourself available to those around you who are. Sometimes, you're all they have.

4-6 Jesus was called to glory by God, just as you and I are. No one can just step up to the plate and say, “I'm here God. Do with me what you like.” No, rather it's God who makes that first step by calling us out of the darkness of sin. Sometimes it's early on in life, and sometimes it's later on, but all of us were called. Some of us, like me for example, have to be called more than once to get back to the glory of Christ. But just think, even Jesus had to be called. It's a wonderful thing to be chosen, to have God pick you out and call you by name for his glory

7-10 Jesus was aware of the fact that he was going to take on the sins of the world. But he also knew that only God had the power to make him perfect and complete the work of salvation through him. It was after he submitted to the plan of God and went to the cross that he was able to complete the work he had been called to do. The same thing goes for us as well. We need to trust that God will complete the work he has for us. It might be pretty awful until then, but what could be more horrible than carrying the sins of the entire world? I think it's only right of God to ask us to continue even if things get hard. This has been an issue I've been dealing with, and am dealing with right now: trusting that God will complete what he started in my life. I know God has so much for me, but right now I feel...stuck. I don't know what I should do next. It's times like these that I need to put my whole life and all my trust in the One who knows exactly what I'm supposed to do next.

“Perseverance must finish it's work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.” James 1:4-5

11-14 What it means here when it says we still need milk instead of solid food is that we still don't understand the depth of God's Word. That's like a full grown man who was raised in the church still reading the picture bible story about Noah and the Ark. By this time he should know enough to be teaching the word to other baby Christians, yet he's still a baby himself. The Christian doesn't grow older with age, but rather by deepening his or her relationship with God. The only way you will grow in your faith is by reading God's Word, by praying, and by living it out every day. You need to practice something in order to be good at it.

As I close this chapter, I'd like to challenge you to grow a little more. Right now, wherever you are, bow your head and pray for five minutes. It might not seem like a long time, but try it and see if you still think that. *Wink* I'm sure there's so many things you can think of to pray about. If you can't come up with enough things to fill five minutes, pray for me! I'm not afraid to ask for prayer right now. Pray for my grandpa! I just received word last night that he's back in the hospital. Pray for your pastor. Pray for your family. Just talk to God about anything and everything that comes to mind, even if it sounds silly. He wants to talk to you. If you had a girlfriend or boyfriend (or maybe you do have one), you'd want to spend time with them and tell them everything that's going on. God's the same way.

I hope you have a wonderful week.

“For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light...” Ephesians 5:8

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT post, Selena!!

Unknown said...

@Jay, thanks!

@Tristan, I've been praying for you non-stop since I heard, I'm writing a special blog for you this week so keep an eye out. I don't know how to do the triangle thing, but you know what I'd say if I could. Hang in there.

Unknown said...

Okay then ▲! :)