Sunday, April 11, 2010

American Idol: What it means to me

I used to hate American Idol until this season...

Then I realized how fun it was. There are so many different ways of looking at it, so many reasons why people vote or even watch. A lot of it just gets on my nerves though. For starters, the judges. From the beginning through Hollywood week, the judges are not only necessary, but entertaining. Sure they make some choices that we may not agree with, but what they do is completely out of our power, and therefore we should just deal with it and enjoy the show.

It's only after the people start voting that I fail to see the purpose of the judges at all. At this point in the show, we have the power to decide who did good, who we like, and ultimately, who stays and who goes. To me, all the judges do is discourage the contestants. I can not believe how many times I've watched a really bad performance and had to listen to the judges rave about it! Are they even watching the same performance? I won't go too heavily into how I feel about the judges individually, but I do want to say something about Ellen. She's weird, and entirely un-biblical, but that aside, what does she know about good singing? She hosts a talk show. She doesn't write music, sing, or even play an instrument. I'm not bashing Ellen though. I think she's funny and she adds a lot to the show.

Moving on to the contestants. For the most part, I think people really care about who can sing and who can't. I love learning more about the contestants and their personal lives, but if you really think about it, these can be a distraction in your voting. Would you vote for the contestant who struggles to make ends meet, or for the one who has ten cars? Weather or not they can sing, you are automatically going to be inclined to vote for the one who struggles to get by.

And now for my favorite part: looks. What do all the little middle school and teenage girls like in a music artist? Nice hair, nice eyes, preferably single. No one wants to watch an ugly man dance around on TV. I'll admit it, I too like whoever I'm voting for to be nice looking. I don't think it's fair sometimes when these really bad singers with long hair and big eyes make it so far while the good singers get kicked off because they're fat.

I'll close with my thoughts on the season currently airing, I DO NOT LIKE CRYSTAL BOWERSOX!!!! With that out of the way, I like to look for the Christians, or whoever acts like one, you can never be sure. I'm guessing Lee Dewyze and Mike Lynche are the Godly ones here. As for who I'm voting for, Andrew Garcia is the best. He has a unique voice, something I value highly, a nice personality, and yes, nice looks. Disagree with me if you want, but who doesn't disagree on American Idol?


EDIT Thursday, April 15, 2010: Andrew Garcia was voted off the show last night. =( I will now be a fan of Lee Dewyze.

No comments: