Friday, June 3, 2011

How man killed God

One thing you should know about me before we start this blog is that I'm homeschooled, and I'm proud of it. Although I'm trying very hard to stop, I often speak out very strongly against public schools and what they are doing to my generation of people, especially on the subject of God and living for Him. Christians are not accepted in the schools anymore. Let me say, I have many good friends that made it through public school just fine, I'm not saying it's impossible to get through public school un-scarred. But if it isn't one of the hardest things you'll ever have to do in your life, then you must be super Christian or something.

Personally, I never would have made it through public school. With my odd personality, my issues, and pretty much everything about me, I would be a very different person. I probably wouldn't be writing this blog. I know almost for sure that I wouldn't be playing keyboards or singing. And I hate to even think about this, but I might have never made my relationship with my Lord real. I know that homeschooling is not an option for some parents, or for whatever reason they can't homeschool. But it's my belief that if there was no such thing as public school, the world would be greatly benefited.

Anyways, THAT could turn itself into it's own blog. The thing I want to discuss today is my least favorite subject: science. I want you to know that for the first time in my blogging history, I did research for this blog! I actually read other material, was inspired by a source other than my own mind or music, and I have books open in front of me. BOOKS! This should be a very special blog.

Back in the 1600s, a little something called the Age of Enlightenment was taking place. Great minds such as Galileo, Copernicus, and Kepler were making discoveries that would change the way mankind looked at the world around them forever. It was the age of discovery, the scientific revolution, and the abandonment of God.

What, you say? The abandonment of God?

Why yes, dear reader. You see, now that man had all this modern science, man suddenly had the power to explain and prove how the world worked. There was no need for superstitious beliefs in a Creator. Faith wasn't necessary if you knew how everything worked. If you could suddenly explain the existence of man, how we moved, how we worked, how we fit into the universe, God loses His power. He's not needed any longer. We had taken the power away from God and had placed it into the hands of man. In other words, man was now god.

This subject was an entire history lesson in my school work a couple of days ago. Of course, in my homeschooled mind, I immediately put two and two together to make four, or, in this case, the public schools. Man had all this knowledge now that needed to be passed on. Think about it: Where is the place you first head about science, the earth, and how it worked? Where were you when you learned of man's power to explain things without the help of God? If you answered 'school', you're in the majority. We are learning how to disprove God in the place we go to everyday. We trust the schools to give us the information we need to get through this world.

OK, time out. Now for me, all the stuff I learn in school strengthens my faith in my Lord, With every turn of my history books, I'm encouraged to take my relationship to new levels. I'm taught how to be a light in this dark world. In biology, I'm taught how God's creation is so complex and amazing that it could only have com from an extremely intelligent creator. In literature, I often read books written by people who were so infatuated with their God that their writings spill over with His love and grace. In math class, I'm tormented with numbers and calculations and.....

Basically what I'm trying to say is that I am taught so differently than kids in schools. I'm learning the same stuff. I'm advancing in the same ways as far as academics goes. I'm no better than them when it comes to knowledge and understanding. The difference is in the way I'm taught. The root, the driving force behind everything I'm learning, is my God. In public schools, the force behind all those textbooks is man. Their lessons were created by a man who may or may not believe in the Creator.

"The scientific revolution opened a question that humanists are still trying to answer. If God does not exist or is irrelevant to human life, and if man is not the center of a vast universe, what is the nature and purpose of human life? Secular humanists have no satisfying answer to this. The correct answer is that God does exist and does matter. His creation - from the wonders of the atom to the wonders of the amazing but finite universe - gives Him glory and honor, and man is a unique (though fallen) part of that creation, designed to worship Him." Exploring World History part 2: The Renaissance to the Present, pg. 533

Am I against public schools? Yes. If it was up to me, they would be closed and the funding going to the things that make sense. But if they would teach the things that really matter, that it is not science and knowledge that saves us, but the power of our Savior Jesus, then the world would be different, don't you think?

Check out the great article that played a big part in inspiring this blog here, and to see my awesome curriculum that is teaching me how to be a better person, you can click here.

The heavens are telling of the glory of God;
And their expanse is declaring the work of his hands.
Psalm 19:1

2 comments:

Courtney Osterman said...

That is so funny! I was reading about the exact same thing maybe a week ago in my school books! I am also homeschooled, but I don't have the same books as you. I really enjoyed reading this post! :)

ParadoxicalSoul said...

I actually read an entire book on this subject, and wrote a paper on it. It is interesting to see the slippery slope that led to where we are. Believe it or not, it all started with the Reformation. When there was no long the authority of the church and Christian individualism began shaping western culture much good was done, in fact our own government (or at least how it used to be) was created from the perspectives born out of the Reformation. However, whereas the Reformation taught the individual's personal relationship with God, it slowly became unbalanced and we started to see the individual as more and more central until in the enlightenment we made the self the whole arbiter of truth. The enlightenment truly has cast a thick "darkness" on western culture, which we see in our morality a couple hundred years later.