Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Music, Good Friday

I was a little indecisive about this Friday's blog. I knew I wanted to do something big in a meaningful sort of way, something that people could get something out of. I also wanted something personal, as this is my personal blog, and I think the best way to express yourself is to tell what's really down there in the dark depths of your heart.

Meaningful + Selena + lunch break = MUSIC VIDEO!

I do a lot of music video reviews on my Tumblr account, but most of those are short, and since it's a daily blog, I don't have much time to write them. I have one review that's scheduled for tomorrow that I felt needed more said about it than I did. Thinking about it a little more, I felt it was the perfect way to reflect on what was done for us thousands of years ago on this day.

I want to do most of the review before you watch the video, which is a little odd I know. But this video is sort of, shall we say, graphic? This way if you can't make it through the video you will still get the message.

Imagine if you will, two people; both with a strong faith in God, both on fire for him, both going in a good direction. They have the knowledge of the cross and what God did for them there. They rely on him day after day to get them through anything, and He guides their motions, almost like a puppeteer guides his puppets. They have learned how to give God that kind of control, and they are totally trusting in what he has for them. They weren't forced, they did this on their own free will.

The thing is, they still mess up. They love God so much, that they try their hardest to do what he wants them to, but sometimes, they still want to do things on their own. So they break free from their strings in attempts to follow their own path. Say for example, like I feel is portrayed in this video, that these two people want to take their relationship beyond the safe boundaries God has set for us. Or maybe they feel like they should be able to make the moves once in a while when it comes to their lives. So they cut the strings off, one by one.

The only problem is they have forgotten their stitches. Before they experienced the love of God, and before he saved them from themselves, they were nothing more than incomplete pieces of a whole, and they weren't even aware of it. When they realized how much they needed God, He stitched them together into a functional member he could use for His purposes. He controlled them with His strings and held them together with His stitches. It was hard to have to walk around with those scars, and sometimes the stitches came undone, but they served as a painful reminder of what they had once been. But despite all this, still they cut the strings.

At the end of the video they are in pieces once again, separated from that which made them whole. But if you watch closely at the end of the video, you can see a hand closing around a needle. This needle to me is representative of God's grace, his amazing grace that no matter how many times we do our own thing (cut the strings), he will always be willing to stitch us back together again.

The song is called Falls Apart, and now that I have inserted into your minds my own thoughts on the video and the song as a whole, please enjoy the video.



[Chorus]It falls apart - from the very start - It falls apart - seems like everything I touch - falls apart - everything around me falls apart - when I walk away from you.

I wish I could but I don’t always keep the promises I’ve kept - I wish I could but I can’t always give whatever I have left - And now its all so clear, doesn’t anyone see whats happening here?

[Chorus]

I know I should but I don’t always say, what you want me to say - I know I could but I don’t always act like everything’s ok - And now its all so clear, doesn’t anyone see whats happening here?

[Chorus]

Everything I have ever been made of hates who I am - I’m so glad you waited - Can’t get my mind off how you could love me - I’m so behind, you’re so far above me - And you’ll always be the wind under my wings above me

I will not let it go to waste - I’m taking all I got, and leavin’ this place - And I will not, be taking up space - I’ll take my best shot, I’m picking up the pace and…

[Chorus]

Yes, I got all that out of this. What I'm hoping to leave you with this Good Friday is hope, the thing that is so often talked about this time of year. Why do you have hope? I have it because I know I have a savior, I see my scars daily, I need His grace every hour or so. I know that he will be there to stitch me back up again, and I'm going to try to live my life giving glory to Him. He's my puppeteer, and I'm trying my hardest not to be afraid of or reject the strings.

2 comments:

Jessica B said...

I loved this! You're a great writer, Selena. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Tia!