Friday, December 9, 2011

Waste Of Time

This is my 100th blog. Yay, fanfare. Okay, fanfare's over.

Have you ever been thoroughly annoyed? Completely, entirely, and surely annoyed about something? Then you know how I feel about my generation. I don't know why my generation's parents even bothered to have us. We're a waste of time and money.

I'm specifically referring to the 16-25 year olds who come into In-N-Out on the weekends with their friends. This is when you can truly see them at their best, and I don't like what I see. If you think about it, the girls are all the same, and the guys are all the same. The girls are all worried about their physical image; what the guys think of them, what will or won't make them fat, and what the other judgmental freaks in their social circles think of them. The guys...are checking out the girls. So maybe the girls have a right to be constantly worried about the outside!

There's a lack of personality in my generation. No one stands out from everyone else because everyone else is trying to be like everyone else! It's called fashion, and you can observe this a little more easily at the mall (my local mall happens to be called Fashion Fair). All the guys have their pants hanging off their rears, which is something I despise, guys. It's not attractive in the slightest, unless you consider me wanting to barf a desirable reaction. The girls aren't any better, with their short shorts in the middle of December and their shirts unbuttoned to their navels. All of them have a horrible vocabulary, because they can't even get through a sentence without a profanity.

What is wrong with us? When are we going to wake up and realize that life isn't about what “they” think of you? When are we going to realize that forty years from now, our bodies are going to be less than perfect, no matter how much work we put into it now? I have always valued personality over looks. I would rather be friends with the quiet girl who can make me laugh and has something interesting about her, like a specific talent or passion, than the popular girl who would give me a once over before completely ignoring me because I'm not her “type”.

Maybe I'm being too harsh. But let me tell you, I have been rejected many times in my life, sometimes multiple times by the same girl or guy, based on my outward appearance alone. It used to really hurt when I was considered unworthy for them because I wear all black or because I prefer to play my guitar over keeping up with the next big thing. But if someone doesn't want to take the time to get to know me because they don't like what they see, then would that friendship have been worth it? I don't think I want to invest my time and emotions into someone like that. Nowadays, if someone declines my acquaintance based on the outside alone, I come to the conclusion that they wouldn't have been worth it anyways. Nothing was lost.

If I were to put my closest friends in a room together and asked you to observe them, at first glance, you would think they were crazy. Most of them are quiet, but all of them can make me laugh. They aren't perfect, but they're all extremely talented at something. And they all have the thing I value most in relationships: they care. I would rather have one friend who truly cares about me than fifty of those under-dressed girls at In-N-Out. They're hard to find, but let me tell you, when you find one, you better treasure them more than anything else, because they're hard to come buy.

If you're one of my friends, thanks for being so awesome. Thanks for dealing with my speech issues and my obsessive personality. Thanks for understanding when I blast Skillet in my room at midnight. And most of all, thanks for being there for me. You rock.

3 comments:

Site Designer said...

Ah, I couldn't agree more with this blog...awesome job writing it! Yeah this generation is ridiculous, and it totally needs more people like you! I even wish more of those kids were more approachable about the gospel and 'true love.' At least we have our work set out for us ;) As that one awesome guy says, "I'll do what I want cause this is my life!! .....I am tired of being told what to do!!!"

P.S. I highly encourage you to continue blasting Skillet or JC at midnight....and I only don't do it cause I'd get murdered by parents who have to get up early ;)

P.P.S. Why are those girls at In-N-Out if they want to stay freakishly skinny??

RuthieJoy said...

Also, I'm so glad to know you....you are amazing! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi there, this weekend is good in support of me, as this moment i am reading this wonderful informative article here at my home.