Thursday, February 24, 2011

Socializing? Or something else...

I was raised in church for the majority of my life. I know all about potlucks and church picnics and VBS and men and women Bible studies blah blah blah. But have you noticed (if you, like me, have spent any considerable amount of time in church) that when we get together to socialize as a church body, we don't call it "socializing" but rather "fellowship"? Why is that? I mean, I know the Bible calls it that and stuff, but sometimes it sounds to me like we're trying to excuse our fun little get togethers as something we have to do. No, no nononon oon onn onono nonono NO! Fellowship and picnics and potlucks and food are all very good things that we all enjoy doing. Why do we all enjoy doing it? Because the Lord designed us to like interaction with other human beings. He wants us to get together and talk about things. We need to learn how to get comfortable with one another, that way we can talk about what God is doing in our lives, encourage one another, sort through our struggles, and learn how to love one another as Christ loves us. Yes, God wants us to do something that is SUPPOSED to be fun.

Sorry about that little rant there. I'm just so tired of people not getting it...

No comments: